$(function(){ $('figure.responsive').picture(); }); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();
Home

Découv'Ducey

1. The Old bridge

The Old Bridge is the first stone bridge built in the county. It replaced a number of wooden bridges. Situated on the old Paris-Brest road, it was used by the pilgrims to go to Mont St Michel since the Middle Ages for it was the only way of crossing the River Selune for several miles around.

Can you find the date of construction written in several places on the top of its parapet walls ?

2. L'Octroi

Maison de l'octroi

At the foot of the Old Bridge this house with it's arrow slits still visible, would originally have had an important strategic function, but due to lack of archives this use is not known today although according to local tradition, it would have acted as a look-out post.

In the course of the 19th century, this house passed into the hands of the Berthelot family who set up a cloth dying business for many years.

3. The River Selune

La Sélune

The River Selune originates 63 kms from Ducey and continues onto the shores of Mont St Michel. It is crossed by two bridges; the Old Bridge of 1613 and the New Bridge of 1840. The navigation on this little river allowed transport of wood for the salt marshes, wine, brandy etc..

The Selune is also known for its salmon, A 1st grade river, it has been really appreciated by fishermen for many centuries.

4. The Fountain- Rue du Coq

Fontaine de la rue du Coq

The fountain of the Rue du Coq dates probably back to the origins of Ducey, It has an inscription engraved in its lintel ‘Fons publicus’

Why is this road called Rue du Coq ?

What does ‘Fons Publicus’ mean ?

5. The Town Hall (L'Hôtel de Ville)


Mairie de Ducey  hier et aujourd'hui

The Town Hall was built at the place of a former inn which was called ‘L’Auberge du Lion d’Or’. In 1821 the community decided to build new halls on the site of this inn which was owned by the widow Belliard Chardière. She refused and the building was finally constructed only in about 1860.


6. The Enjourbault house


Maison Enjourbault à Ducey
Situated at n° 44 Grande Rue, Ducey on the corner of the Tourelles road, the Enjourbault house was built in 1694. It was during this same year that a terrible fire broke out which ravaged the entire village and virtually every house was destroyed.

7. The Church

The actual church dates to the end of the 19th century and was built on the site of a former 17th century construction, which itself had replaced an earlier church. It's grandeur responded to the growing number of worshipers but also to local fashion as we can see with a number of churches built in the vicinity.
The two towers of the church included in the initial project did not get built because of a lack of finances but the bell tower of the former church stays on its own just a short distance from the building

Can you find the granite stone at the base of the bell tower showing the date of 1641 ? Be careful, its on the back !

8. The War memorial


War memorials to the soldiers who fell at the Front have been built everywhere in France. For this memorial in Ducey, it was Gabriel Forestier, a sculpture artist and a former First Wold War soldier who was chosen. He suggested to the village that he would sculpture something symbolic rather than an image of a soldier and he designed ‘Victoire pleure ses morts’ (Victory cries for its dead) in stone that came from the region of Lorraine, ‘Victory has cost too many lifes, she expresses no more joy of having won’

Do you know that Gabriel Forestier collaborated with his friend Marcel Loyau to design and construct the Buckingham Fountain which stands in Grant Park, Chicago, USA.

9. Montgommery Castle

Château des Montgommery de Ducey hier et aujourd'hui

Built at the start of the 1600’s, this castle is the masterpiece of Gabriel II of Montgommery, who was a protestant lord. There is a monumental staircase, superb painted ceilings and two imposing fireplaces.
Guided tours are organized by the Tourist office in July and in August ( Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 3pm ) and the visits start from the Tourist Office. The life of Gabriel I of Montgommery (the father of Gabriel II, who constructed the castle ) is extensively discussed.

Can you find the meaning of the motto of Gabriel II of Montgommery, which is visible in the town ; - 'Marte Non Fortuna' ?

Office de Tourisme de Ducey